Friday, October 7, 2011

Infinite Demand

I love the free market, but am baffled by it. When we are so efficient at providing goods and services, how can everyone be employed? They're not all employed, but even now, most are.
Excessive material consumption is bad. There is a limited amount of oil and coal for example. Keeping material possessions at a minimum is a positive ideal. Lowering this consumption minimizes an individuals environmental impact.
The question, is a free market system sustainable without evil over consumption and disposal of physical objects? I'll look at what I own and buy, because I think I live at a minimum (materially).
Okay, so I have a netbook. It is about the most technologically advanced thing there is. Making this tiny object employs a lot of people. Perhaps, there is a way to consume less material, and still provide demand for private sector jobs.
I have to know everything. Math is important to me. I suppose by demanding an education I create demand for all those who support it. Maybe there are jobs there. No material consumed, but wait. We just created an entire college campus, I guess the environment is doomed :)
In all fairness, I have a small Metro. I'm using it to destroy our air. I'd have to say that my environmental footprint is considerable, but I've come to one conclusion... My desire to do things with my life, even things that do not create physical objects, demands a lot.
This infinite demand will create nanotechnology, genetic engineering, and innovation. Things that don't necessarily generate high volume trash.
But what happens to the educationally lazy? Entertainment, its a phenomena, but I think everyone is okay. I think we can create demand without demanding material. The economy is sustainable. The service industry makes us rich, not manufacturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment